PhD in Water and Environmental Technology
Norwegian University of Life Sciences
* Risk modelling,
* Health impact assessment
* Cost-effectiveness analysis
* Wastewater recycling
* Impact of climate variability on water and sanitation
* Water and sanitation planning and financing
* Water safety plans, household water management
* Life Cycle Assessment and spatial epidemiology
About Dr. Razak Seidu
Dr. Seidu has a PhD degree in Water and Environmental Engineering from the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norway. He is currently a post-doctoral researcher and project leader at the Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology. His main research interests are water and wastewater treatment (including decentralized systems); quantitative health risk modeling; wastewater reuse; water quality monitoring/modelling; climate change modelling; integrated water resources management and water and sanitation in developing countries.
He is a member of the International Water Association (IWA), Norwegian Water Association, Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SUSANA), International Ecological Engineering Society and International Society for Risk Analysis. He has been involved in water and wastewater related projects in Norway, Sweden, Thailand, Laos, Colombia, Bolivia, Nepal, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia and Ghana.
Dr. Seidu has worked as a technical advisor or researcher on a number of water and sanitation projects for both local and international institutions including Municipal Authorities, World Bank, World Health Organization, International Water Management Institute and UN-Habitat. He teaches quantitative microbial risk assessment in the MSc. Water and Environmental Engineering programme.
Dr. Seidu has been responsible for the free PhD. course Water, Sanitation and Health Risk Modelling and is actively involved in the supervision of MSc. and PhD students.
Project Leader: Integrated Health Risk Management of wastewater irrigation in urban and peri-urban agriculture (2011-2014). (Research Council of Norway)
Project Leader: Comparative Microbial Risk Assessment of Centralized and Decentralized Wastewater Treatment as Health Risk Barrier for Irrigation in Ghana (2009). (Research Council of Norway)
Co-investigator: Healthy Schools: Reducing dengue and diarrheal diseases in primary schools in Colombia (HEALTHPLATFORM) (2010-2014). (Research Council of Norway)
Co-investigator: Link between Diarrhea and Dengue: Fecal contamination and dengue mosquito production in household water containers in Southeast Asia (DIADEN) (2010-2014). (Research Council of Norway).
Co-investigator: Virus i Vatten-Skandinavisk Kunskapsbank (2010-2013)
1. Thor Axel Stenström, Razak Seidu, Nelson Ekane and Christian Zurbrugg .(2011). Microbial Exposure and Health Assessments in Sanitation Systems. Eawag/Sandec/SEI (A reference book)
Journal Publications and Book Chapters (Peer Reviewed)
2. Razak Seidu, Amina Abubakari, Amoah Isaac Dennis, Arve Heistad, John A. Larbi, Thor Axel Stenstrøm and Robert C. Abaidoo (2014). A probabilistic assessment of the contribution of wastewater-irrigated lettuce to E.coli O157:H7 infection risk and disease burden in Kumasi, Ghana. Journal of Water and Health (Journal of Water & Health submitted).
- Razak Seidu (2013) Norwegian drinking water supply systems and risk management: guidelines, directives and microbial risk assessment. Vann (4): 519-528
- Razak Seidu , Ingrid Sjølander, Amina Abubakari, Amoah Dennis, John A. Larbi and Thor Axel Stenstrøm (2013) Modeling the die-off of E. coli and Ascaris in wastewater-irrigated vegetables: implications for microbial health risk reduction associated with irrigation cessation. Water Sci Technol. 68(5):1013-21
- Razak Seidu, Thor Axel Stenström , Owe Löfman. (2013). A Comparative Cohort Study of the Effect of Rainfall and Temperature on Diarrhoeal Disease in Faecal sludge and Non-faecal sludge applying communities, Northern Ghana. Journal of Water and Climate Change 04(2):90-102
- Razak Seidu, Owe Lofman, Pay Drechsel and Thor Axel Stenstrom. (2013). Risk Factor Analysis of Diarrhoeal Disease Incidence among faecal sludge farmers´households in Tamale, Ghana. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development 03(2):134-143.
6. Nsa Dada, Nanthasane Vannavong, Razak Seidu, Audrey Lenhart, Thor Axel Stenstrøm, Theeraphap Chareonviriyaphap and Hans Overgaard (2013)
Relationship between Aedes aegypti production and occurrence of Escherichia coli in domestic water storage containers in rural and sub-urban villages in Thailand and Laos. Acta Tropica 126.(3) s. 177-185.
7. Overgaard HJ, Alexander N, Matiz MI, Jaramillo JF, Olano VA, Vargas SL, Sarmiento DM, Lenhart A, Razak Seidu, and Stenström TA. (2012) Diarrhea and dengue control in rural primary schools in Colombia: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 13:182.
8. Pay Drechsel and Razak Seidu. (2011). Cost-effectiveness of options or reducing health risks in areas where food crops are irrigated with treated or untreated wastewater. Water International. 36(4): 535-548.
9. Arve Heistad, Tyler Scott, Anders. M Skaarer, Razak Seidu, Jon F. Hanssen and Thor-Axel. Stenström (2009). Virus removal by unsaturated wastewater filtration: effects of biofilm accumulation and hydrophobicity. Water Science and Technology 60.(2) s. 399-407.
10. Arve Heistad, Razak Seidu, Andreas S. Flø, Adam Paruch, Jon F. Hanssen and Thor-Axel Stenström. (2009). Long-term Hygienic Barrier Efficiency of a Compact On-site Wastewater Treatment System. Journal of Environmental Quality 38.(6) s. 2182-2188
- Razak Seidu., Arve Heistad, Philip Amoah, Pay Drechsel, Petter D. Jenssen and Thor-Axel Stenström .(2008). Quantifying the Health Risk Associated with Wastewater Reuse in Accra, Ghana: A contribution toward local guidelines. Journal of Water and Health 6(4): 461-471.
- Razak Seidu., Arve Heistad, Lindholm Oddvar, Lasse Vråle, Petter D. Jenssen and Thor-Axel Stenström. (2007). Integrating Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment in the management of Water Supply Systems in Norway. Vann, No 4 (2007): 329 – 336.
- Razak Seidu and Pay Drechsel. (2010). Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Treatment and
Non-Treatment Interventions for Diarrhoea Disease Reduction Associated with Wastewater Irrigation. In Pay Drechsel et al. (2010) Wastewater irrigation and health : assessing and mitigating risk in low-income countries. Earthscan, UK.
14. Duncan Mara, Andrew J. Hamilton, Andrew Sleigh, Natalie Karavarsamis and Razak Seidu (2010). Tools for Risk Analysis: Updating the 2006 WHO Guidelines. In Pay Drechsel et al. (2010) Wastewater irrigation and health : assessing and mitigating risk in low-income countries. Earthscan, UK.
15.Ben Keraita, Pay Drechsel, Razak Seidu, Pryanie Amerasinghe, Olufunke O. Cofie, and Konradsen, F. (2010). Harnessing Farmers’ knowledge and perceptions for Health Risk Reduction in Wastewater irrigated agriculture. In Pay Drechsel et al. (2010) Wastewater irrigation and health : assessing and mitigating risk in low-income countries. Earthscan, UK.
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS (Selected)
16.Razak Seidu and Amina Abubakari (2013). Quantifying the health risk associated with E.coli O157:H7 in wastewater irrigated vegetables in the Kumasi Metropolitan Area (KMA). 9th International Conference on Wastewater Reuse 27-31 October Windhoek, Namibia.
17. Razak Seidu and Gaffar Adam(2013). Integrating Sanitation Safety Planning (SSP) into the management of health risks associated with wastewater irrigation in urban Ghana. 9th International Conference on Wastewater Reuse. 27-31 October Windhoek, Namibia.
18. Razak Seidu (2013). Health Risk Assessment, Water and the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Water Protocol. Norwegian Water Association, Oslo, Norway.
19. Susan Petterson, Arve Heistad, Razak Seidu, Thor Axel Stenström and Jakob Ottoson. (2013). Do the Lillestrøm and Trollhattan water treatment plants meet health based targets? VISK/INTERREG Project Conference. Oslo, 20 March, 2013.
- Razak Seidu (2012). Confronting the maze of disease transmission: exploring the contribution of risk factors to disease in multiple exposure pathway settings. DIADEN, Bangkok, 25-27 Jan 2013.
- Razak Seidu and Arve Heistad (2012).Risikovurdering/-analyse: Eksempel på beregning av helserisiko i forbindelse med mindre avløpsanlegg. Avløpskonferansen Små Avløp-Store Utfordringer. 24/4-26/4 2012. UMB, Ås
- Razak Seidu, Amina Abubakari, Hans J. Overgaard, and Thor Axel Stenstrom. (2012) Wastewater irrigated farms as common denominator for diarrhoeal disease and malaria transmission in urban Ghana.
23. Razak Seidu, Amina Abubakari, Hans J. Overgaard, Robert Abaidoo and Thor Axel Stenstrom (2012). Wastewater irrigated farms as common denominator for the transmission of gastrointestinal and malaria transmission in urban Ghana. XIV International Congress of Entomology. Seoul, South Korea. 2012-08-19 – 2012-08-25
24. Razak Seidu (2011). Dangerous waters, diarrhoea and the struggle for survival: ”localising” the WHO guidelines for wastewater irrigation in urban Ghana. Norwegian Water Association, Oslo. 2 March 2011.
- Razak Seidu, Owe Löfman, Pay Drechsel, Arve Heistad, Hans J Overgaard and Thor Axel Stenström(2010)Risk Factor Analysis of Diarrhoeal Disease in Sludge Applying Households in Northern Ghana. Water and Health: Where Science Meets Policy. North Carolina, U.S.A. Oct. 25-26 2010.
26. Razak Seidu, Arve Heistad, Pay Drechsel and Thor Axel Stenstrom. (2009) Quantifying the health risk associated with exposure to faecal sludge from on-site sanitation technologies. International Water Congress, 11-15 Nov, New Mexico, Mexico.
- Razak Seidu and Pay Drechsel (2008). Cost-effectiveness analysis of wastewater treatment for agricultural use. International Expert Consultation on Wastewater Irrigation in low inicome countries WHO/IWMI/. 6-9 October, 2008, Accra Ghana.
- Razak Seidu (2008). Sludge treatment for reuse and associated microbial health risk. International Expert Consultation on Wastewater Irrigation in low inicome countries WHO/IWMI/. 6-9 October, 2008, Accra Ghana.
- Razak Seidu and Pryanie Amerasinghe (2008). Developing tools to analyze health and environmental impacts associated with wastewater irrigation in low income countries. International Expert Consultation on Wastewater Irrigation in low inicome countries WHO/IWMI/. 6-9 October, 2008, Accra Ghana.
- Razak Seidu (2008). Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment of Wastewater and Faecal Sludge Reuse in Ghana. WEDC International Conference, 7-11 April 2008, Accra Ghana.
SPECIAL REPORTS (selected)
31. Susan Petterson, Ekaterina Sokolova, Ricardo Rosado, Tor Håkonsen, Jakob Ottoson, Vegard Nilson, Thor Axel Stenstrøm, Arve Heistad and Razak Seidu. (2013). Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment for Evaluation and Management of Drinking Systems. VISK Case Study Report. Oslo.
- Razak Seidu, Lars Onsager Stordal and Graham Alabaster .(2011). Development of an integrated monitoring framework for assessing access to water and sanitation in the Lake Victoria Region. UN-Habitat, Nairobi.
- Razak Seidu, Lars Onsager Stordal and Daniel Adom .(2011). Water for African Cities: Performance Evaluation . UN-Habitat, Nairobi.
- Razak Seidu, Lars Onsarger Stodal and Graham Alabaster. (2012). Monitoring indicators for water and sanitation with evidence from small urban centres in the Lake Victoria Region of East Africa, UN-Habitat, Nairobi.
35.Evans Alexander, Razak Seidu, Ben Keraita and Pay Drechsel. (2009). Urban agriculture and wastewater management. Report submitted to the World Bank, IWMI, Colombo, Sri-Lanka.
36. Pay Drechsel, Razak Seidu, Ashley Murray, Kelly Bidwell, Robert Fuller, Maria Lovelace-Johnson and Tetteh Ogum. (2009). Wastewater Irrigation and Public Health-From Research to Impact -A roadmap for Ghana. Report submitted to Google.org (Grant Agreement no. 13-2008).
INVITATION TO SPEAK AT SPECIAL EVENTS/WORKSHOPS
Norwegian Water Association, Oslo (2013). Invited as one of the key-note speakers to give a presentation on health risk assessment and water supply systems in Norway.
38. World Health Organisation, Geneva (2011). Invited by the WHO to participate in deliberations related to the application of Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment as a tool for managing water supply and wastewater treatment systems.
- Norwegian Water Association, Oslo (2011).Invited by the Norwegian Water Association as a key note speaker to highlight successful Norwegian government funded water and sanitation projects.
40. University of Kwazulu Natal, South Africa (2010). Invited by the University of Kwazulu Natal Department of Technology to give a presentation on the topic water, health and climate change. Also taught a course in QMRA during the visit.
41. International Water Management Institute (2009). Invited to take part in the drafting of a consensus on wastewater use in agriculture in developing countries. Was a key member in the drafting of the Accra Consensus/Declaration, which is now part of the rolling revision of WHO guidelines for wastewater use in agriculture.