Chemical water treatment, coagulation-flocculation, image analysis of flocs, fractal structure of flocs, coagulant dosage prediction
* Improvement of quantitative analysis and validation for “Septifril” tablets in SIC “Borshchahivskiy Chemical-Pharmaceutical Plant” CJSC, Kyiv, Ukraine.
* Water desalination for Heat Electropower stations by ion exchange UPCORE method, Ukraine.National Technical University of Ukraine KPI
* Reduction of N2O with CO gases over metal oxides catalysts doped by platinum group metals, L.V. Pisarzhevskii Institute of physical chemistry NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine.
Project title (PhD)
On-line image analysis of flocs for improving coagulation process in water and wastewater treatment
To develop and verify the technology of automatic image segmentation and feature extraction.
To study physical characteristics and structure of flocs during different coagulation conditions.
To develop mathematical models in order to predict coagulation efficiencies and improve coagulant dosing according to image analysis.
To verify this mathematical models in pilot-scale and full-scale water and wastewater treatment plants. Develop artificial neural network systems.
To evaluate the possibility to develop a prototype of “floc sensor” for practical use in treatment plants.
The overall aim of this PhD work is to improve a real-time dosing control system using on-line image analysis of flocs for optimizing drinking and wastewater coagulation with more accuracy and sensitivity.
Despite the developments during the last years in dosing control systems it is obvious that further studying in this area should be done in order to achieve higher efficiencies in water and wastewater coagulation. Regarding to wastewater treatment the empirical models which includes parameters taken in initial stages of coagulation/flocculation process should be developed, as coagulation is a long process while wastewater quality and composition changes all the time. The image analysis is a promising tool which could solve this problem.
Harsha C. Ratnaweera
- Ratnaweera, H. (2010) Modelling and optimization of wastewater coagulation process.PhD thesis, 2010:05, UMB.
- Sivchenko, N., Kvaal, K., & Ratnaweera, H. (2013), Characterization of flocs in coagulation-flocculation process by image analysis and mathematical modelling. Poster, 13th Nordic Wastewater Conference, October 8–10, Malmö, Sweden.
- Sivchenko, N., Kvaal, K., & Ratnaweera, H. (2014). Image analysis of flocs and mathematical modelling applied to coagulation-flocculation process. IWA Specialist Conference “Advances in particle science and separation: from mm to nm scale and beyond”, June 15-18, Sapporo, Japan.